Subject: Re: rockbox-recorder-20061122 - volume representation messed up

Re: rockbox-recorder-20061122 - volume representation messed up

From: Andreas Stemmer <groovingandi_at_gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 2006 13:49:18 +0100

mat holton wrote:
> So I'm wrong about hi-fi's displaying dB scale. There are also
> audiophile's that spend £50 on a piece of speaker-cable or buy little
> boxes to rest speaker their cable on. These kind of people would
> probably appreciate a dB scale.

I think it's the other way round: those who appreciate a dB scale have
the technical knowledge to avoid speaker-cables for £50. After all,
every professional mixing desk has a dB scale.

> Most, I'm guessing, would prefer to not
> have to deal with negative numbers.

I guess most don't care at all, perhaps some are wondering why the
numbers are negative.

I have an everyday example why a 0-100 scale is bad: I own a AJR20 and a
H340 and use both in combination with my hi-fi (which has no scale at
all, only dots btw.) and different headphones. If I want to connect
either one to my hi-fi, I simply adjust the volume to 0dB. Before the
dB-scale was introduced, I had to remember that 0dB are 92% on the AJR20
and something else on the H340. Therefore, a common scale on every
device is indisputable A Good Idea (TM). I don't want to stretch the
discussion too much as you already wrote that you don't care, but I
could give you good reasons why the dB-scale is the best selection for a
common scale and I'm happy we have it!

Andreas