Subject: Re: Rockbox 2.5.1 for Archos Machines Updated

Re: Rockbox 2.5.1 for Archos Machines Updated

From: Tom Cole <tcole_at_xtra.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2007 10:33:38 +1300

On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 00:17:23 -0500, Neon John <jgd_at_neon-john.com> wrote:

>On Sat, 06 Jan 2007 16:43:53 +1300, Tom Cole <tcole_at_xtra.co.nz> wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 05 Jan 2007 06:57:31 -0500, Neon John <jgd_at_neon-john.com> wrote:
>>
>>><snip>
>>> Now if you'd just give me a one-key keyboard lock.... Say, a
>>>long push of F3 or something like that.
>>>
>>>John
>>>
>>Sorry john, by order of management, updates are prohibited!
>>
>>Just the two key F1+Down for now, pressed and released rapidly! (But I'm
>>sure you knew that already.)
>
>Actually I couldn't recall the multi-finger combination. It's useless
>to me. I carry my JBR in a pants pocket and do not have the patience
>to pull the thing out, contort both hands to lock or unlock and then
>adjust the volume. I need to be able to do it by feel through the
>fabric - like I do most other commonly used keystrokes.
>
>As long as I'm wishing, I'd like two lock modes. One that locks the
>whole keyboard and another that locks everything except the volume
>keys. The latter would be wonderful to turn the volume up and down
>without inadvertently skipping chapters in an audio book by hitting <<
>or >>. Maybe a long keypress could partially lock and a really long
>one would fully lock.

Yes, the trick is to find a key that:
        1 Is not being used for another useful purpose.
        2 Will not confuse the user if he inadvertently triggers
          lock mode and wonders why the machine is ignoring him.
        3 For multiple keys, only certain key combinations can be
          detected by the software. e.g. F2+F3 pressed together
          cannot be detected.

It's a pity that Archos did not include a slide switch for this purpose
when they designed the machine.

>It's a shame that your improvements are (apparently) being rejected by
>the core developers. They're obviously the result of lots of use. If
>your code becomes unwelcome on the rockbox wiki, I have tons of web
>space and would be more than happy to host it.

I'm talking with Jonas about this, but thanks for the offer.

>I do agree with one
>comment - you need to indicate revisions with at least a minor suffix
>change. I called it 2.5.1.1 on my machine.

Good Idea.