Subject: Re: next step for the settings changes - the menus

Re: next step for the settings changes - the menus

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 23:46:10 +1100

OK,
I was alot lazier than expecting last week, but the first step is
ready for inclusion (attached .patch)

I know you dont like the heavy use of macros but I think these can be
exceptions, without them there will be plenty of places for copy/paste
errors and other bad stuff.

now, before I forget, I just did a compile for the fm rec, the binary
size increases about about 1Kb, but this is expected because only the
main menu uses the new system (it bassicaly does exactly the same as
before, but with more code.)

The plan is to fix the wiki page
(http://www.rockbox.org/twiki/bin/view/Main/SettingsRecode) to explain
how interested people can help, then commit this, then work through
the menu, 1 submenu at a time to convert the existing code to this new
system. This will mean moving code out of apps/*_menu.c to
apps/menus/*_menu.c in a neat manner so adding items later or
rearranging items will be simple.

Doing it this way instead of in 1 big hit means it will probably take
the same amount of time (a few weeks if its only me doing it), but
bugs will be found more quickly and there is more chance others' will
chip in.

any objections or comments?
(if there isnt I'll nag everyone in IRC in the next few days before I
commit.. not doing that without an ok)