Subject: RE: installing patches

RE: installing patches

From: daniel dalton <daniel.dalton47_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 21:44:11 +1100

Hi Dominik

On 3/14/07, daniel dalton <daniel.dalton47_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok first what one of these do I need to download to get started?

This depends on your development platform. If you use the vmware image
everything needed should be already installed. I recommend the vmware
image as installation is much easier.

What is the vmware image?
And where can I get it from?

> Once I have one of the patching programs installed do I just type
> "svn add file"

No. You patch the sources, typically with
patch -p0 < patchfile.diff

OK

> Without the quotes. And where do I type this is there a program window
> or do I type it in a dos window?

In a terminal. Depending on your development platform this may be a
cygwin shell or a terminal window in the vmware image.

So If I install cygwin would it be in the cygwin window?
Or a command prompt window?

> After the svn add file
> line then should I type the file name after svn add file with the
file
> extension?

You "svn add" a file if you want to add it *to the repository*, not to
your local copy. Unless you want to add files to the repository (which
is only useful if you *create* patches yourself or are a developer)
you'll never want to use svn add. I have no idea where this svn add
idea comes from.

So if I type patch -p0 < patchfile.diff
Will anything be sent to the rockbox web site or when I compile?

Is patchfile.diff the file name of the patch I want to add?

Also I am blind will I be able to use cygwin with a screenreader?

Thanks for all your help!

Daniel.