Subject: Re: Google's Summer of Code

Re: Google's Summer of Code

From: Zakk Roberts <midkay_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:57:39 -0700

> ... and I'm happy to announce that we have just been accepted as a mentor
> organization for Google's Summer of Code 2007.

Cool!

> So, we need even more and even better project ideas for students to work on
> and we need more individual mentors.
>
> Someone asked what is required from a mentor, and I think can think of a few
> "requirements":
>
> o a true and deep interest in Rockbox
> o experience in Rockbox code and the Rockbox project, on more than one target
> o reasonably good at communicating in english
> o no current plans on hiding from the face of the earth for several months
> during this summer

Hmm. I hadn't considered becoming a mentor, but I fulfill all of these
requirements. It sounds like a ton of fun to me, and although the
majority of the proposed SoC projects are way over my head (playback
rewriting, USBOTG, etc.), I'd love to participate in anything I was
able to - especially and most likely pertaining to working with
plugins. I'll be around all summer, as well.

What do you think? Could/should I apply to become a mentor under these
conditions (i.e. happy to help with what I can - which is probably
rather little in the scope of some of the proposed projects)? I'm a
little uncertain as to how serious of a Rockbox hacker you have to be
to do this stuff. :)

Anyways, congratulations.. can't wait to see what comes of this either way. :)

--
- Zakk
midkay_at_gmail.com