Subject: remove themes from svn builds?

remove themes from svn builds?

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 17:20:33 +0200

Hi,

the topic just came up on irc:
Currently we ship a couple of default themes but do not include the
needed fonts for space reasons. This way we have some half state: we
don't have no themes shipped, but we don't ship complete themes
either. One idea to overcome this was to include the fonts needed for
the shipped themes. But as UniCatcher requires unifont which is rather
large (~1.3MiB) I don't think this is a good option.

I rather think we should remove all themes from the svn builds and
rename the fonts package to "extras" package (or something similar)
that includes fonts and themes -- they also don't change too often so
I think it's sensible providing them as separate download. It also
scraps of some bytes off the download archive and makes updating
faster (at least on my player extracting the small files the themes
use takes a while because of the slowness of the disk).

We could also make the archived builds fullzip archives which include
both themes and fonts. That way older builds would always include
compatible themes in case the syntax changes.

What do you think?

 - Dominik