Subject: Re: "Estimated Runtime" feature.

Re: "Estimated Runtime" feature.

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2007 00:21:05 +0200

On 4/17/07, Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Meaning that percentage is an accurate value. The problem with times,
> is that they're only accurate for new batteries, while playing MP3,

The time estimate is quite accurate on my h120, no fresh battery, for
my usual listening pattern. Besides, it's an estimate -- IMO an
estimate of remaining runtime isn't supposed to go down exactly with
time. If I have heavier use meaning the player draws more current the
value drops faster -- perfectly ok. It's just the understanding: it's
only an estimate.

And if the battery is that dead the estimate isn't anything near the
actual runtime the user can decrease the capacity setting to match the
real capacity of his battery more (though this most likely will always
be a rough guess)

While the runtime estimation works badly on PP targets I find it quite
nice on the players it works fine. I have no demanding need for the
feature, but unless there is good reason I don't think it should get
removed. Being inaccurate on PP targets isn't a good reason to me ...

> Remember how many complaints people issued when the "Runtime
> remaining" only said 9 hours, shortly after the H300 battery fix?

Then we should advertise that feature as what it actually is: an
estimate. An average user expects a precise calculation, while this is
technically not possible due to the nature of changing system load.

Removing / disabling it on PP players (IIUC it's working fine on all
other targets) might be better for the end user but might also make it
more unlikely to get fixed anytime.

 - Dominik