Subject: Re: Improving simulator

Re: Improving simulator

From: Christian Gmeiner <christian.gmeiner_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2007 09:19:10 +0000

Hi Steve,

2007/5/10, pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com>:
> Hi Christian,
>
> I agree with the principle. As well as device support, the simulator
> currently uses some other separate kernel code (all the multi-threading for
> example). I would particularly hope that such a simulator could be used to
> debug some of the more subtle issues (race conditions etc.) which it
> currently often fails to reproduce at all.
>
> Such a simulator would still need to offer an emulation of different
> targets' hardware - in particular display capabilities (sizes, colours, and
> the Archos Player's charcell display) and buttons.

For this step we need to modify tools/configure.
* select wanted target
* select simulator
* buildsystem needs now to generate a config-x86 on-the-fly based on
config-xxx of selected target.

But I am not a build system guru.. so somebody need to help out, if my
idea of a simulator is wanted and accepted by the community and the
developers.

Greets,
Christian