Subject: Re: 1 standard generic callback system

Re: 1 standard generic callback system

From: Michael Sevakis <jethead71_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2007 16:10:24 -0400

I really think it's best to avoid a separate callback function for each
particular things and instead just go with an interface model that groups of
related callbacks and functions. If you want audio events, provide a pointer
to some sort of audio events interface. Any receiver of events can just
ignore what it doesn't care about and a tendency towards a single call with
an event id parameter and an intptr_t parameter to pass data or pointers to
data can keep the number of functions to a minimum. Some more specialized
functions in the interface can be declared if needed of course.

struct xxx_something_something
{
    intptr_t (*function)(int ev_id, intptr_t data); <== standard fare
    rettype (*function2)(params.......); <== something more specialized
};

Not really much different than having the plugin api structure. Just
register the structure pointer with the caller of the callback.

Having set_xxxx_callback for each particular event or callback doesn't
really address clutter imo but then maybe I like C++-like stuff to much.
IIRC GCC can have C structures with constructors. :P :D