Subject: Re: button changes from devcon, someone play evil dictator

Re: button changes from devcon, someone play evil dictator

From: Mauricio Peccorini <mpeccorini_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2007 16:24:39 +0000 (UTC)

> I think that devcon did agree to a level of configurability.

  As I didn't attend DevCon I'm not aware of the discussion you guys had there,
but I see a lot of discussion everywhere regarding keyboard mappings in
different parts of Rockbox. IMHO it would be fairly easy to abstract the buttons
layer and use only "actions" everywhere in the code (actually this is already
done), but then, it would be easy to make a setting screen in which the user can
assign keys, key combinations or long key presses to these actions. So everyone
can choose, no matter the target, the keys best fit what they usually do.

  The problem here would be to change all the code that uses the key mappings,
but I guess you will have a better idea than me about that.

  The way Jonathan has implemented actions related to contexts would also be
used here, so that the same screen will let the user configure the key mappings
he/she wants for the different actions in the menu, WPS, the different plugins
and viewers, etc.