Subject: New port, question about hidden partitions

New port, question about hidden partitions

From: Jacob Rau <jacob.rau_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2007 23:34:23 -0400

Hey all,

I'm trying to kick-start a new Rockbox port--I have an off-brand player, a
Yukai PVR-H240, that has really crappy firmware, and it would be really
sweet to get RB running on it.

However, I've hit a wall. I have figured out a lot of the files in a data
directory (see my work on this here: http://jbotalan.frih.net/YukaiPVR.htm)
and I don't see anything that looks like a firmware binary. I ID'd a chip
inside that is a 16MB flash chip; maybe that is all for the firmware.
However, that sounds small. That leads me to wonder if there might be a
hidden partition (like an iPod) on this hard drive. How do I discover
whether or not there is such a hidden partition? I must confess I really
don't know what I'm doing, but I am interested in learning.

I don't know what processor this is running on; I can only access one side
of the circuit board right now. I need to figure out how to disassemble the
player some more.

Also, I discovered an audio codec chip--a WM9711G. I found a datasheet
online for the WM9711L, and it says nothing specifically about MP3 or
MP4...does that mean the processor does this? Do I know at this point
whether or not this is a HW codec or a SW codec?

I would publish the scans I got of the circuit board, but you cannot see the
letters on the chips even at 600dpi--the board is spaced an inch away from
the scanner bed because I don't know how to take the next stage apart. I
will probably toy with it some more tomorrow.

Thanks,
Jacob

PS. I realize I'm in way over my head, but I find it fun right now, so I'm
going to keep immersing myself until I get bored. Hey, how else do you
learn? :-)