Subject: Re: Rockbox development model

Re: Rockbox development model

From: Jonas Häggqvist <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 19:41:24 +0200

Daniel Stenberg wrote:
> On Thu, 9 Aug 2007, Jonas Häggqvist wrote:
>
>> Once a release is wanted (for a number of different reasons I'll
>> mention later), the current trunk is branched and that new branch will
>> become the next release.
>
> I personally am not too eager to see a release but I can agree with a
> branch-for-release approach as described.

About the need for a release, I agree with Paul Louden on his points. It's
not at all a release for the developers' sake (although in the end, I think
it'd benefit everyone), but rather for the users' sake.

> I also think that if it is gonna succeed in a nice way, we need a
> "release manager" (as in a single person) with a firm hand who can take
> care of the branch and make sure that a release is coming out of it in
> the end.

I think you're right. Either that, or some very strict rules about when
and/or why we branch and release, but in the end, I think someone with
authority to say "Enough's enough, let's release now", which will probably
be his main responsibility (because there'll always be more to fix, at one
point we'd have to let it go). I think it could be a good idea to at least
consider making it a temporary position. After the initial (point-zero)
release, I don't think it should be too problematic to do any point-releases
collectively without a release-manager.

--
Jonas Häggqvist
rasher(at)rasher(dot)dk