Subject: Re: Licensing and Copyright Issues

Re: Licensing and Copyright Issues

From: Nix <nix_at_esperi.org.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 12:46:35 +0100

On 11 Sep 2007, Karl Kurbjun outgrape:

> I would not want to blindly assign my copyright to any one organization
> without regard to our rights. I would prefer to keep my freedom with the
> code while I am functional mentally and alive.
>
> On Ray's arguments: I do not think that relicensing would ever be a
> possibility unless we had our own copyright holding entity - I doubt that
> the FSF would ever agree to let us relicense under anything but the GPLv3 or
> above. I am sure there would also be plenty of headaches obtaining
> agreements with all the other projects that are used in Rockbox.

If you assign your code to the FSF, you get a grantback which permits
you to do pretty much anything you want with it, including providing it
under whatever other licenses you may desire.

--
`Some people don't think performance issues are "real bugs", and I think
such people shouldn't be allowed to program.' --- Linus Torvalds