Subject: Re: developing rockbox page for blind users

Re: developing rockbox page for blind users

From: Daniel Dalton <daniel.dalton47_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:42:00 +1000

On 21/09/2007 9:47 AM, RaZorbacK wrote:
> Daniel Dalton wrote on 20/09/2007 23:58 :
>> That could go in the setting up cygwin section. It isn't the same as
>> the other guide since it is written for how to do it when your blind
>> and with a screenreader.
>
> if he's not reading this, I will ask Sean if he agree that I pu his work
> on the wiki since i'm registered or if he prefers to do this by himself.
>
>> You could find useful patches for example p6323 and write about them.
>> The main voicing patches I know of are from sdoyon but I have written
>> some myself.
>
> you're definetely right. but, before writing, I've got to manage to
> apply those patches. With your help, i've really learnt but i was unable
> to test your patches, due mainly to my players limitations. and, about
> Stephane's patches, there're kinda hard to apply since they involves
> many other dependencies.... I wasn't even able to apply one of them lol
> . I hope this patch improving bookmark voicing will be committed one day.

Your right. I could probably get 6240 working but I am using 24 of his
patches. Lots of patches use other patches. For example about 5 of his
patches use 7798 so you can't just have the same code in multiple
patches. It won't work.

Anyway I have emailed Stephane and hopefully he can tell me what order
to apply them in. To save you an hour or so (it took me that long) email
me off list if you want all of his patches. I had them working on a
build from early august and they were great. Now I am probably talking
about something not related to this thread so if you have more questions
about his patches either email me off list or start a new thread.

I think it will be a while until it is committed since there has to be
about 5 other committed with it. I guess if there was interest from a
dev I could just include the required code and write up the modified
patches. (If that makes any sense.)

> I've written a few things in french, I could adapt them in english.

Well that should go on the tracker. Create a diff and upload it. You
should really get yourself a fs account.
It will come in very useful.

> I hope this list is the rigt place too discuss about this. The only
> thing I could participate in is the wiki at this time.

Well I don't have any time to write up the wiki yet so if you want to
that that would be good. I was just putting the suggestion out there to
see if someone wanted to do it. I probably should worded my mail a bit
better. But if you can started I am sure others might join in with it
and I will certainly help out with it. I think Stephane might as well.
But I think it is just a time thing because I know he is busy with code
and I really want to sit down and study this c book on my two weeks off.
(Not the whole time of course but I want to really learn c well and I
think now is a good time)

So you could definitely help if you log on to irc we can talk about it
there.

--
Daniel Dalton
http://members.iinet.net.au/~ddalton/