Subject: Re: Configurability; was: Re: Voice patches

Re: Configurability; was: Re: Voice patches

From: Tapio Kelloniemi <spammi.helevetti_at_nbl.fi>
Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 13:31:42 +0300

On Sun, Oct 07, 2007 at 07:12:27PM +1000, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> On 7/10/2007 6:28 PM, Tapio Kelloniemi wrote:
> >1. Make all buttons configurable. This is preferable and it would be
> > extremely useful for everybody, including sighted folks. Devs have
> > however
> > decided that such a feature will not make its way to RockBox, because
> > it would introduce a support hell.
>
> All buttons? Or just the rec button and maybe a long press of play and
> possibly a long press of ab (h300).

All buttons, since many players, such as ipod and x5, don't have spare
buttons. Short and long presses of play and rec are already bound. Therefore,
as I have pointed out many times earlier, it is necessary to make all buttons
configurable so that owners of different types of devices are not unnecessarily
penalised (by not giving them an opportunity to configure their DAP's
behaviour).

> I doubt anyone would except all buttons.
> Actually there is a patch in the tracker with a configurable rec button.
> FS#5555

As I once said, everybody cannot be made happy at the same time, except by
granting complete control over button mappings (taking hardware restrictions
into account).

> But yes I think the rec button should be configurable. I don't know how
> that will affect support.

What a pity, if one owns an ipod. Not a problem for a H380 user...
Anyway these configurable buttons have been discussed to death and it is
clear that they will not be reality, not at least until someone submits a
patch.

--
Tapio