Subject: Re: quickscreen changes (was Voice patches)

Re: quickscreen changes (was Voice patches)

From: Simon M. <simon.me_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2007 15:47:41 +0200

> > 3) make it a fully customizable menu

Jonathan, if I remember this correctly, you already coded something
like this when you introduced the new menu system. So technically it
is possible.

This menu would be configured with a config file that gives pointers
to the main menu entries that should each be called. The default
config file should have a few resonable settings. And maybe we could
provide a 'backup' of this file as 'default.quickmenu.config'. If the
user messes everything up (s)he can copy this file over the
'quickmenu.config' file. We already have config files in .rockbox that
are needed for rockbox to function properly, so this is not a new
concept that would increase support issues.
People can share their quickmenu.config files in the same way they
share wps files. Most users would probably just download a file and
use it instead of fiddling with the configuration themselves.

What I like more about this than option 2:
- There is no disc-spinup delay when selecting something
- you can have functions here (call the radio, the playlist
viewer...). This wouldn't be possible with config files
- The entries would be properly voiced without the need for .talk files.
- A user who wants to change many settings on the fly can have one of
the already existing 'browse xxx' menu entries in the quickmenu

To make customisation easier, it would be nice to have a txt file in
/docs that lists every menu entry with its code. Another possibility
would be a context menu entry that says 'add this menu entry to the
quickmenu'. That's probably too much, though.