Subject: Re: Voice patches

Re: Voice patches

From: Stéphane Doyon <s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 00:31:01 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 8 Oct 2007, Daniel Dalton wrote:

>> That's why I'm thinking of perhaps putting those voice/blind related
>> hotkeys under a common context. That way I need only one button mapping for
>> several functions. And as it happens, the quickscreen already has a defined
>> button mapping for many players and is accessible in many contexts (except
>> I'd have to add it in menus though). And the quickscreen functionality is a
>> lot less useful nowadays because it can all be done with not too many more
>> keypresses through the root menu
>
> Why do you need to add it to the menus?
> I don't usually disagree with what you say but I disagreed with one thing you
> said.
> About the spelling option.
> I think we should be able to make it spell the file or directory we are over.
> We don't want to change the setting.

I thought that too at first. But that would only work in the file browser.
Eventually, some other contexts will use .talk clips. What if you want
something spelled in the bookmark selection menu, playlist catalog or
viewer... You won't want a spell button in each possible context. So an
override for the settings seems best. In my prototype I implemented it in
the same way as the talk_menu_disable feature they use from recording, so
that the override is forgotten on reboot.

>>> Actually I already implemented a button press for x5 and h300 in your
>>> track lock patch. See my last comment.
>>
>> You mean you brought back the button I had in my earlier patch :-). It's
>
> You could say that. :-) But i did add a keymap for the h300 and h100 I think.
> you didn't have this before.

True.

> Ok so what will be in the quick screen? Remember if you choose to use the
> current quickscreen you can only have 3 options in there.
> Will there be spell, info, volume and tracklock?

Well I can reuse the hook that leads you to the quickscreen, but not the
quickscreen function itself. I'd need to modify key bindings a bit too.
But we'll see where the general discussion about the quickscreen leads.

>> Recording currently stops all playback, including beeps. Haven't looked at
>> how hard it would be to change that.
>
> Well if you are going to fix this and the paused playback issue let me know.

:-) Certainly. Don't hold your breath, those are going to take a while.

> Also are you getting my emails off list? If so have you replied? Not sure if

I am getting them. You seem to have more spare time than I do :-). I was
out of town this weekend.

--
Stéphane Doyon
<s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>