Subject: Re: Plugin button actions

Re: Plugin button actions

From: Marianne Arnold <m.arnold_at_infocity.de>
Date: Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:30:59 +0200

> I think I've said this on IRC, but I'll put it on the list to
> hopefully get some discussion going (or at least so someone answers
> you.)

Thank you for listening. :)

> I've had the "fun" of adapting the buttons for a fair few plugins to
> the mr500 and I'm sure it would be easier if they were using PLA.

Thing is that it looks easier in the beginning and might hold true for the few plugins with the most basic controls (4 directions, fire, off) - the trouble starts when the controls need more or even less than this or the game "layout" is a bit different. For example the generic "fire" button in pluginlib actions is "up" on the Ondio because it was chosen for bubbles (where it really makes sense) but otherwise I always expect the "mode" button to be "fire", so it made me wonder what button I had to use in jackpot...
About plugins with more specific controls: I already tried to explain my concerns in the first mail and there are plugins with more or less broken controls on some targets.

> BUT.... if its not suited to the particular plugin, by all means,
> please take it out.

Ok, as I said in my first mail, I'm not completely against it but if we want to keep plugin button actions, they should be used more carefully only keeping them where they really really make sense.

Regards, Marianne.