Subject: RE: tools for developement - debug, etc..

RE: tools for developement - debug, etc..

From: RaeNye <raenye_at_netvision.net.il>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 19:22:05 +0200

> I would like to know what tools are experienced people using
> for developing... like debug, quick transfer code do device, etc...

Can't really call myself exprienced, but I have three advices for you.

1.
I really recommend working with git or some other local source versioning
system.
This way you can maintain many patches (also patches that depend on other
patches) and keep everything sync'ed to RB svn without much effort.
2.
Unless your code is hardware dependant, test everything on the simulator
before touching the device.
It's less work to get your code executed *and* you have better debug
options.
3.
When you need to test multiple stuff on the device, do it in parallel:
compile several builds, rename the main rockbox executable in each to
something different, load all of them to the DAP and use RoLo to execute
them one after the other.
Note that you might encounter problems if your code changes too much for
plugins and codecs to work; YMMV.

Good luck,
R.