Subject: Re: saving patches from the tracker

Re: saving patches from the tracker

From: Simon M. <simon.me_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 00:43:24 +0100

On 12/12/07, alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> My question is this once i've found a patch i want to apply how exactly do i
> save it to my computer in order that i can apply it later?
> i no i must be doing something wrong. as i found several patches i wanted to
> apply to rockbox, so what i did was on the page for the patch there was a
> link to the patch file, i clicked it, and instead of getting a download box
> up a new page came up with the code for the patch, i'd select everything and
> then paste it into notepad and hit save giving it the extension of .diff.

you can right click the link in your browser and select "save link target as..."

> also i've got another question what happens, if i do an svn update and i
> have patches applied and the files on the svn have been modified?
> wil my patched files be overwritten? or will the patched files just not get
> updated with the latest ones from the svn.
> What i mean is if I have patches applied that are just on the tracker but
> aren't officially committed into the code will i have to reapply them or
> what.

If you do a svn update then your source gets updated. Svn tries to
update files that a patch has modified, too. It doesn't overwrite your
patch, it does a merge of your changes and the changes from the
server. If the merge fails, you get a little "C" in front of the file
in the svn output. Then you have to open the file and find the
conflict. A conflict is marked with <<< chars. If you get one you will
see what I mean.
In most of the cases you don't have to do anything.