Subject: Re: Cross Compiler for Sandisk Sansa V2?

Re: Cross Compiler for Sandisk Sansa V2?

From: Daniel Stenberg <daniel_at_rockbox.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 22:35:53 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 4 Jan 2008, Jeffrey Ollie wrote:

> Thanks, I've now gotten binutils and gcc up and running for arm-elf
> and I've built the Sansa e200 simulator and it seems to work (or at
> least boot up - didn't have much time to test last night). I wasn't
> able to get gcc 4.0.3 or 4.0.4 compiled on my Fedora 8 system due to
> some bugs in gcc 4.0.x that are tickled by gcc 4.1.2:

Hm, for the simulator you should be able to use pretty much any gcc version
(at least >= 3.0 something), since the simulator is native code.

For the arm-elf version you should probably use 4.0.3, and on just about any
Linux system you get that downloaded, built and installed fine with the
tools/rockboxdev.sh script and there should be no problems on any recent
Fedora system to run that!

> The cross-compiler pages on the wiki say that gcc 4.1.0 isn't able to
> produce correct builds, is this still the case with 4.1.2. Has anyone tried
> 4.2.x or snapshots of what will become 4.3.x? I don't have any real
> hardware that is currently supported by Rockbox to test on.

If you wanna play with compiler versions that aren't the recommended ones,
then I suggest you do test them out on actual targets to verify that they
still work fine!