Subject: Re: applying multiple patches with one command

Re: applying multiple patches with one command

From: Stéphane Doyon <s.doyon_at_videotron.ca>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 19:54:13 -0500 (EST)

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, alex wallis wrote:

> Hi list.
> I have a question about patches. Earlier today someone sent me a load of
> patches for rockbox.

That would be me :-).

> He very thoughtfully provided me with both one big file of all his patches,
> and the patch files individually.
> I applied the big file of patches, and it applied fine I got no errors.
> However when i tried to build a new build of rb it wouldn't build because of
> one error in the code of one of the patches something to do with one of the
> functions not being used i'm not completely sure.
> However I am very reluctant to not apply his patches just because of one
> error. But He is quite busy so i'm not sure when he will get around to fixing
> it and i really don't want to anoy him by seeming to complain, so i'd like to

It would have been quite alright to ask :-).

I did do a test compile before sending it out... You must be using a
different target... Tell me off list what player you are building for and
what error you are getting.

> However I was wondering could someone please tell me is there a command i can
> use to apply multiple patch files in one go as I haven't been able to find
> out.

The tool I use is called quilt:
http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/quilt
It manages a stack of patches: push (apply), pop (unapply), and more
importantly you can have it refresh patches when you edit files. VERY
convenient. You'll have to google a bit to see how to get that going under
Cygwin.

Good luck

--
Stéphane Doyon