Subject: Re: using colinux with rockbox

Re: using colinux with rockbox

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 00:14:48 -0000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Mark Allums" <mark_at_allums.com>
To: "Rockbox development" <rockbox-dev_at_cool.haxx.se>
Sent: Monday, February 25, 2008 11:58 PM

> alex wallis wrote:
>> Hi.
>> Just wondering has anyone had experience with using colinux to run a
>> rockbox build environment, i've heard that its a lot better from the
>> point of view of not needing lots of resources like vmware,
>
> I've used colinux, but not with X Windows or Rockbox. It is minimal in
> its needs. VMWare needs the same resources as Windows, space for
> itself, and space for the virtual machine to run in. It will run in 512
> Meg, under XP, barely, but the virtual machine will only have room for
> about 64 Meg. Maybe 128. Linux will run in 128 Meg, but a 2.6 kernel will
> work better with more. Colinux is not a full operating system, and is
> still experimental, although there are people who are reporting good
> success using it.
>
> You might consider Microsoft's Virtual PC, it is lighter weight than
> VMWare.
I considered virtual pc, and looked into it, but the impression I got from
the microsoft website was that it could not be run under xp home edition,
which is what I am running, and so far as I no it would not be possible for
me to upgrade my xp copy to pro without doing a full reinstall of windows,
and paying for a new copy of windows. However ile be very happy if I am
wrong about the requirements for virtual pc.
> I still think you need to save up for some memory, or a separate machine.
> You will have good success under VMWare with enough memory,
But am i right in saying that you can't easily upgrade the ram in laptops,
in fact the only parts its easy to upgrade are the hard drives?
This laptop has worked nicely while i've been at university, but its
warranty will expire soon and as its old i'm thinking should I still trust
it. So it might be time to replace it.