Subject: Re: Settings as a plugin

Re: Settings as a plugin

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 13:28:59 +1000

2008/5/20 Thomas Martitz <thomas47_at_arcor.de>:
> I'm just playing around with the idea. I call it out-sourcing.
>
> I think having the settings as plugin would be very beneficial regarding the
> bin size. I also think that there is no real point having the settings in
> the core (correct me if there's a good reason).
>
> Note: With settings I purely mean the settings menu which can be accessed by
> the main menu and other screens.
>
> I think it should be feasible and it seems like a logical step to me.
> Although it's just an idea, I didn't think too much about cons, I'm sure
> there cons which I didn't think of yet.

Yes, there would be a HUGE binary delta if the settings were moved to
a plugin but this has been shot down before..
1) it would mean a disk spinup every time you entered the menus (at
best its one spinup per session if the plugin can stay in RAM if no
other plugins are loaded)
2) no talking/translation support

2 is being worked on in GSoC but 1 is really the killer there.

Jonathan