Subject: Re: problem with creating patch

Re: problem with creating patch

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas47_at_arcor.de>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 13:38:34 +0200

alex wallis schrieb:
>> That would be your problem. You canot svn diff against a file not in
>> SVN. Use svn add first.
>
> Hi. Sorry, perhaps i didn't make myself clear, i've been trying to svn
> diff against my modified copy of sapi_voice.vbs. I'm not trying to svn
> diff against the renamed version of sapi_voice.vbs, however i can
> only create the patch if i do a checkout of an unmodified copy, and
> then diff between a renamed version and the unmodified version, in
> other words between 2 files. if i directly try to svn diff between my
> modified but not renamed sapi_voice.vbs and svn, all it does is output
> the blank patches. So obviously i'd like to work out why this isn't
> working, as sapi_voice.vbs is under svn control.
> Please correct me if I am wrong, maybe I have got the wrong end of the
> stick or something, but if you try to diff between svn and your local
> modified code, using the svn diff command, is that command meant to
> generate a patch by comparing your local modified code, and what is
> present on the actual svn?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Alex.

I can't think for a reason that it doesn't work for you, other than that
you are somehow in the wrong directory/point to the wrong directory.

If you didn't make any other changes to your local copy, "svn diff >
patch.diff" (without any file parameter) from the root directory of your
copy should work just fine, as it scans all controlled files recursively.

Small hint: if you omit the "> pathc.diff" part, you see the differences
in the terminal. A bit faster to see if it's working without needing to
create a file and opening it.