dev builds
themes manual
device status forums
mailing lists
IRC bugs
dev guide

Rockbox mail archive

Subject: Upcoming Release 3.0

Upcoming Release 3.0

From: Paul Louden <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2008 16:28:34 -0500

As most of you should be aware, at DevCon we decided to push really hard
for a 3.0 release. There's no hard target set, but there seems to at
least be the beginning of a consensus for "around the end of August" and
I'd like to go ahead and just propose the last two weeks of August as
being our freeze. Before that time we should have a documentation
cleanup week and a tracker cleanup week. We've already cleared up the
bugs we'd currently decided on as showstoppers, and are marking bugs in
the tracker as "Due in 3.0" in an attempt to help single out problems
that are still somewhat significant. As the freeze approaches hopefully
we will rank those "Due in 3.0" bugs and/or determine which can be
thrown out entirely (in which case they'll be documented as a Known
Issue for the release).

There are still some major issues on the table, though, that could be
show stoppers for individual targets. For example, power management on
the e200/c200 and iAudio X5/M5/M3 all present behaviour that could be
very unexpected to the "average" user, specifically Rockbox not charging
while connected. Even if documented, this is likely to cause user
problems. I'm not speaking as this necessarily being valid as a release
blocker (that can be decided later) but it belongs on the list of
"things to consider" and that's what I'm asking for here. To that end
it's possible that some targets may need to not be included in the
release. Which targets won't be included hasn't been decided yet, and
I'd like to ask here for nominations as to which targets should NOT be
part of the release, and what significant problem you feel means they
shouldn't. I would propose that we still provide a 3.0 binary for them
(as a "playback is known to be in working order" known good build) but
simply not include them as part of the "release" itself.

As well, I'd like everyone to get involved in finding their favorite
bugs and adding them to the "Due in 3.0" list. Last I looked there were
18 entries, but I don't think there's any problem with it getting a good
deal longer before we sort it and pare it down.

Lastly, if anyone thinks there are any further issues blocking the
release, speak up now. Since we're not in feature freeze right now it's
entirely possible Rockbox will get less suitable by mid-August, rather
than moreso, and we can always choose an SVN revision from around now if
that's the case, but if there are any blockers we should aim to get them
cleared up soonest to give us the largest window of "good" builds to
branch 3.0 off from.
Received on 2008-07-10

Page template was last modified "Tue Sep 7 00:00:02 2021" The Rockbox Crew -- Privacy Policy