Subject: Re: Title case or sentence case?

Re: Title case or sentence case?

From: Rob Purchase <rob.purchase_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:15:10 +0100

Dave Chapman wrote:

> All the native British-English speakers who have expressed a preference
> (apart from you - I'm guessing you're British based on your email
> address) prefer sentence case, and this is basically what I'm saying -
> choose whether to use title case on a language-by-language basis, based
> on the views of the native speakers of that language.

Speaking as a native Brit, I much prefer menu items and setting names in
title case. Take the main menu in sentence case as an example:

Files
Database
Resume playback
Settings
Recording
FM radio
Playlists
Plugins
Systems

My eyes are drawn straight away to the words "playback" and "radio": these
look out of place here (sloppy, even) without capitalisation. I don't think
Rockbox should differ from the vast majority of English software (UK, US or
otherwise) in this respect.

I think it goes without saying that dialogs should be using sentence case.

Just my 2p sterling...

Rob.