Subject: Re: What happens after the release?

Re: What happens after the release?

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2008 12:39:42 -0500

Thomas Martitz wrote:
> Someone in IRC mentioned branching after the release. I think this is
> a pretty good idea. 1 branch for bugfixes for a possibly upcoming 3.1,
> and one branch for developement and new features for a 3.5 or 4.0.
If I understand correctly, we're going to branch the release for one
week before creating a final binary, just in case something major comes
up we didn't notice. The main build will keep on moving toward 3.1.
There won't be a separate branch for 3.5 or 4.0, as features become
ready they'll just be in the next release after them, which goes 3.1,
3.2, etc. If something major enough comes out to warrant a 4.0 then
it'll happen, but we won't hold back features from minor releases just
so we have a big 4.0 planned.