Subject: Password protection feature?

Password protection feature?

From: Joseph Garvin <k04jg02_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 13:44:02 -0400

I'm curious how difficult it would be to put a password on my player using
rockbox, the same way some cellphones require passwords on boot. The closest
thing I saw on flyspray was this:

http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/7921?histring=password

Which is a screensaver password, not a bootup password. I'm thinking
something very simple, like having an unencrypted passwd.txt in /.rockbox,
that the player would ask for when turned on. The password itself would just
be a sequence of key presses (left, right, down, up, etc.). If an incorrect
password was entered, the player could then display a mailing address and
phone number of the owner, in hopes it would get sent back to them.

I realize this would offer no protectection against a determined thief, who
could just hook it up to a computer and find the file or wipe out rockbox
entirely, but my hope is this would give somebody just picking up a lost
player off the street more incentive to return the player to its owner.

Any tips on implementing? Since this needs to run at boot I assume a plugin
is out of the question.