Subject: Re: "Contribute" Page

Re: "Contribute" Page

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 03 Oct 2008 03:38:58 -0500

pondlife wrote:

> Given that we'd also like people to help with testing and documentation,
> perhaps "How You Can Help" or something might be better. Or have I
> misunderstood the requirements..?
>
> pondlife

I think there needs to be a split. The idea here is to improve the code
submission process, by adding a second stage where they come in and say
"I think my code is ready for commit, and I'm dedicated to seeing that
through." A way for the non half-baked patches to get dragged by their
authors in front of the devs in a way that catches a little more attention.

The page is, in a way, an engine for that by delineating a description
of when an author should take their tracker entry, post it to the -dev
mailing list, and try to get comments and a dev to sponsor it, etc.

I think, at least, that such a page should be mostly development focused.

Given that, though, we could probably do to have another page that's a
general "How you can help" style page which may even include another
link to the "Develop" page as one of the options.

Maybe that menu on the left could have another whole new header,
"Contribute" under which we could have "How?", "Develop", and maybe
"Document" with the "How?" page containing a general overview and links
to the Develop and Document pages?