Subject: sansa e200 v2? iriver h340 issues, and congrats on rockbox v3.

sansa e200 v2? iriver h340 issues, and congrats on rockbox v3.

From: Mat Mirabella <matjm1_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 15:28:20 +1000

Hi All.

I Just noticed that v3 has been released recently - great work to all
involved! I have been using daily builds for about 2 years now and have
been very happy with rockbox for the most part (apart from some freezing
when navigating the file system with talk clips on).

But the bad news for me is that my Iriver H340 has just died before I could
get to use v3. It is now being repaired but I am not hopeful since we think
it is a main board issue). It seems to be jumping right into "USB charge"
mode whenever I turn it on, even without cables plugged in. And it also
does this when the AC power cable is inserted. It has made the player
unusable. The HD still seems ok (in fact, the PC will detect it via USB
when plugged in) and the battery was ok a week ago.

So... in looking for a new but cheaper mp3 player, I just purchased a sansa
E260 only to find out that it is a v2 model and thus, according to the
rockbox web site, rockbox will not work on it yet. So I was wondering if
anyone could comment on the status of the port to the E200 v2 at the moment
and how far off a workable rockbox could be? Are there any beading edge
firmwares that can run rockbox that people are working on that I might be
able to try?

I wonder what would happen to people's players if they happened to buy an
E200 v2 and tried to patch rocbox onto it without realizing that it is a v2?
Would this ruin the player completely? If so, can I suggest that on the
main rockbox web site home page, where it mentions the supported ports, a
small note mentioning something like "not the v2" for this target, so that
people know up-front.

As an aside, if anyone may have some suggestions on what might have happened
to my Iriver, please email me off list and I can describe the issue further
and would be grateful for your thoughts.

Mat.