Subject: Re: menu reorganising discussion

Re: menu reorganising discussion

From: Dominik Riebeling <dominik.riebeling_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2008 00:27:00 +0100

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 1:31 PM, pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:
> As I said before, shuffle, repeat and auto-change dir should be together
> (Playback Settings, I'd think).
>
> The term "Playlist" should be reserved for when you're explicitly dealing
> with a list - otherwise it should be "Playback".

I agree with pondlife here -- what does "Cuesheet support" have to do
with playlists? You can play a file with associated cuesheet "without"
handling a playlist (remember, users won't notice about the internal
dynamic playlist, and I guess most also don't want to care about it).
Shuffle and Repeat are play *modes*. last.fm is definitely a playback
setting -- it logs what gets played, not what's part of the playlist.
If I enable repeat and play the same track all over that gets logged

I also agree that it would be better to evolve the menus instead of
redoing everything the same time.

The mentioned inline settings are a nice idea. And to try reviving
that again: we had a patch for this some years ago and I quite liked
the result, especially the two-lined version (just noticed that the
current trigger screen is rather similar to that). From my point of
view something like that could also greatly improve the menu
"experience". The old thread is
http://forums.rockbox.org/index.php?topic=5881.0 and the tracker task
is FS#5833. Any thoughts on this?

 - Dominik