Subject: Re: give .cfg settings grouping names?

Re: give .cfg settings grouping names?

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:56:31 -0000

> This suggestion accidentally got brought up in irc and seen as noone
> else is around I thought it might be a good idea to discuss.
>
> The idea is to rename settings into groups (i.e "theme.wps" or
> "remote.theme.wps").
>
> Pros:
> - it would mean settings_list.c would get some much needed love (i.e
> organise related settings into groups). settings_list.c has almost no
> ordering requirements[1] so this isn't dangerous
> - It would mean config files are easier to manage (users could choose
> to only save theme. settings or general. or recording. instead of only
> having the option of the 3 current flagged groups), it also means
> finding settings in the .cfg is easier
> - Hopefully would make the setting names consistent
> - It could allow for some interesting plugins which wouldn't replace
> the menu, but complement them.
> - could lead to out-of-menu options
>
> Cons:
> - needs a plugin/viewer to convert old .cfg's to new ones.
> - a fair amount of work for no "real" benefit
> - could lead to out-of-menu options
>

> Another way this could be done is if a dummy grouping option is added
> into settings_list for each group (it might get dumping into the .cfg
> as [group name] so the current names arent changed).
>

> Thoughts?
> Jonathan
>

> [1] - the only order in settings_list.c is the settings which are
> loaded into nvram(.bin). So the order only matters if a new one is
> added, which is almost never.

Hi, just to be clear, Are you proposing to split settings up so that each
group of settings has there own cfg file?
or are you simply proposing to group the settings together in particular
groups within the main cfg file?

if its to actually split settings up into different types of cfg file, I
think the cfg files should all be put in a particular folder in order to
make finding them easier so there not all just lying around the main rockbox
folder.