Subject: A new plugin for helping memorize stuff

A new plugin for helping memorize stuff

From: Joseph Garvin <k04jg02_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:04:56 -0500

I'm traveling currently, and to help me learn spanish I coded a
version of mnemosyne (http://mnemosyne-proj.sourceforge.net) for
Rockbox. Mnemosyne is a program that basically quizzes you on flash
cards, except that it is smart about when it quizzes you -- the better
you remember something the longer it will take to quiz you the next
time. This way it tries to quiz you on things just when you're about
to forget them, making the best use of your time and as it turns out
causing you to remember the cards the longest (this technique is
called 'spaced repetition'). I'm sending it to the mailing list
instead of putting a patch on flyspray because I don't have diff
available right now or even a recent checkout to make sure my patch
would be up to date. But this is the only source file so copying and
pasting it into apps/plugins and editing SOURCES should be sufficient.
When I'm back in the states in February I'll post a proper patch, but
maybe someone will get some use out of it between now and then.

To use it, see the comment at the beginning of the source file. You'll
need to create a .rockbox/mnemosyne folder with subfolders called
'future', 'new', 'forgot', and 'toedit' (the plugin isn't smart enough
yet to make these itself). Mnemosyne will quiz you a question, wait
for you press select to show you the answer, then ask you to rate how
well you remembered on a 1-5 scale. Right now the keys are only setup
for a Sansa e200 since that's what I have, if you have another player
you may need to do some editing.

Comments/bug fixes welcome,

Joe