Subject: Re: Default settings for the release

Re: Default settings for the release

From: Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker_at_bennee.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:24:38 +0000

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 3:15 PM, pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com> wrote:
>>>Warn when erasing dynamic playlist
>>> ----
>>> I think this warning should be ON by default.
<snip>

> I disagree with enabling this by default. Whilst I always use it myself,
> the pop-up of the warning was the main thing that put mrs. pondlife off the
> use of Rockbox and sent her scuttling back to Apple. Yes, I know it can be
> disabled, but it's not an aid to intuition at all - quite the opposite.
>
> (A better solution, IMHO, might be to work through the existing playlist
> model and see if we can make it more intuitive. e.g. auto-saving the
> dynamic playlist. This is of course a post-release thing!)

I'll have to play with my partners iPod and see how it behaves (not
that following the iPod is a design goal). I have a feeling it always
auto-saves playlists and if it has multiple "On-The-Go" playlists you
have to explicitly start a new one.

It might be worth thinking up or talking to non-engineers about their
usage models and what they expect to happen on playlist operations. I
know my partner found the 6 option Playlist context menu confusing.
Sounds like a job for another thread.

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
CV: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/cv.php