Subject: Re: Default settings for the release

Re: Default settings for the release

From: Björn Stenberg <bjorn_at_haxx.se>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:31:15 +0100

Paul Louden wrote:
>> Backlight timeout
> I think 30 seconds is way too long for a feature that's one of the
> biggest battery uses. Maybe 7 or 10 seconds, but 30 seconds will burn
> through a significant chunk of battery on players like the Nano.

Will it, really? Do we have any hard data on this?

Again, the default settings are primarily for new users who don't already know Rockbox. 7 seconds is just enough time to read through _half_ of a complex menu page you've never seen before, only to be cut off by the screen going black.

I can agree 30 is a bit on the long side. But I think anything lower than 15 is hurting newcomers.

--
Björn