Subject: Re: Default settings for the release

Re: Default settings for the release

From: David Hall <dmhall_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 08:01:10 -0500

Thomas Martitz wrote:
> And another note: I think if the backlight timeout is raised, the
> buttonlight timeout should be raised as well. I imagine it looks rather
> quirky if the backlight turns off way after the buttonlight.

I don't have a horse in this race, but the devil's advocate says:
Leaving the button light timeout short does not impact usability and
does not lead to any perceptions of lagging UI. It makes sense for the
backlight (needed for reading most screens) to stay on long enough to
read a page, while the button light only stays on long enough to
"register" a button press.

I hadn't thought about your other two points before, but tend to agree.
Gather Runtime Data should be on by default even if the cost is
measurable. Again, I'd rather err towards "battery sucker but simple
stupid."