Subject: Re: Backlight fading settings

Re: Backlight fading settings

From: Karl Kurbjun <kkurbjun_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:58:13 -0700

The the ability to configure the fade in/fade out delays to the detail that
the PWM code has on the supported targets is not possible on every device
due to hardware implementation limitations. The Gigabeat F/X is an example
that without a large CPU time cost we cannot configure the delay to be
shorter while maintaining a smooth fade transistion. To increase the speed
beyond what it is at now (while maintaining a smooth step size) would
require an increase to the tick rate or multiple i2c writes in one tick.

Removing some of the configurabilty would be a benefit in terms of cross
device option consistency while keeping the penalty to performance low.

-Karl