Subject: Re: Summer of Code 2009

Re: Summer of Code 2009

From: Mark Allums <mark_at_allums.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:02:16 -0600

Dan Everton wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 22:56 -0600, "Mark Allums" <mark_at_allums.com> wrote:
>> Time for more of my crazy talk.
>>
>> No one thought highly of my idea of implementing a subset of
>> dot.NET/mono, and creating a Python interpreter that runs on it.
>
> Well, speaking of crazy talk, maybe the LUA interpreter might be worth
> adding as a SoC project. There was a patch I started here
> http://www.rockbox.org/tracker/task/9174 which would be a good start.

My idea for Python, by the way, was not to implement the full ABI/API,
but rather implement the .NET/mono CLI/CIL virtual machine and retarget
a compiler (GNU gcc?) to the virtual machine. Similar to proposals
involving Java and the jvm. Why not the jvm itself? I don't like it.
And having Mono opens up C#, F#, and IronRuby as well as IronPython as
possible tools for Rockbox.

Things that are more plausible include Guile and/or Scheme. And of
course, there's Lua.

Mark Allums