Subject: Re: Summer of Code 2009

Re: Summer of Code 2009

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 00:33:21 -0600

Mark Allums wrote:

> Here's another one: A hypervisor for ARM than runs on exactly one or
> two CPUs (I'm thinking of my Sansa e280) and allows the creation of a
> Rockbox HAL---Hardware Abstraction Layer. With the RHAL, Rockbox can
> be standardized, one binary for any ARM-based machine, except for the
> bootloader and a different hypervisor for each architecture.
Remember, the idea has to be something we as a project actually want
Rockbox to do and are likely to consider committing when the student's
done with it. That means you need an idea that's interesting for the
student to work on, but also one that the project wants.

I'm not sure I understand in what way this makes Rockbox better. It
sounds to me like a recipe for wasting RAM and CPU time.