Subject: Re: Summer of Code 2009

Re: Summer of Code 2009

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:05:39 -0000

> alex wallis wrote:
>> This idea gets my vote. It would make navigating around files a hell of a
>> lot easier.
>> I don't pretend to understand the technical issues, but I understand from
>> a few discussions in the past it might be hard to implement.
> It's less of a technical issue and more of the fact that it's still quite
> hard to justify. When you're seeking quickly, by the time you've heard the
> clip you're quite a distance past it anyway. If it's seeking slowly, it's
> preventing quick seeking. Why is audible seeking better than "seek,
> listen, seek, listen?"

Because if its a very long file, particularly if its a film sound track or
an audio book, with audible seeking as the audio speeds past you have a very
general idea where you are in the file as you might recognise the odd bit of
music or tone in a voice.
Plus with seeking that isn't audible, you have no idea how far you are going
through the file. If you seek, stop, listen you might find that you have
only gone a few minutes forward. Plus it just takes time with seek, stop,
listen, as you have to waste a few seconds after stopping forwrding, to wait
for the audio to resume playing, and then you have to listen to it for a
second or so, and then resume going forward.
Plus for those people who don't want to use audible seeking, and I can
understand that some people might not want to, a setting could always be put
in place to allow it to be turned on or off.
Besides, Iriver must have had there reasons for thinking it was a good idea,
or else why would they have included it in the original firmware?