Subject: Re: kugel: r19826 - trunk/wps

Re: kugel: r19826 - trunk/wps

From: Thomas Martitz <thomas.martitz_at_fhtw-berlin.de>
Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 18:22:47 +0100

Am 24.01.2009 18:09, schrieb Dominik Riebeling:

> We intentionally (!) did that for several years, and that was agreed
> upon. While I agree that we shouldn't ship themes with missing fonts
> (I already made a suggestion about that) a change in the "shipping
> contents" should be discussed first. IMO.

Ok, I'll be more careful the next time, sorry about that.

> Besides, with arguing that way we wouldn't need to ship _any_ font at
> all, as every theme includes the required font. I bet this is not true
> for all contributed themes on the wiki (as there is a "standard
> font-set" it's an acceptable assumption that the user has those fonts
> already).

I haven't seen a theme which didn't have the font(s) shipped, yet. But I
surely don't claim I've looked through all.
>> The other thing is, that Rockbox should work out of the box, and should not
>> require extra downloads for core features (and the theming and font engine
>> is a core feature, whereas doom is not).
>>

> Well, and those features work nicely even if f.e. the correct font is
> missing. Thus I don't agree with that point at all.

Using the built-in font because the font required by the shipped theme
isn't available isn't what I call "work nicely".

I'd still be against shipping broken themes. So, I'd tend to agree with
JdGordon. The font zip is an extra download because they hardly change.
This is also true for the themes in SVN, so I'd rather have them as a
seperate download, instead of installing them in a broken state at every
installation.
But as they're target dependant (unlike fonts), let me propose having a
"themes download" link at the front page, which leads to a page which
looks like the other download pages (manual, current build etc) and
links to a zip which has the SVN themes including the needed fonts.

--
Best regards,
Thomas Martitz