Subject: message of great interest for blind cygwin users

message of great interest for blind cygwin users

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2009 19:36:38 -0000

hi list.
I just thought that blind users of cygwin might find the following
information very interesting.
As I am sure we all remember, the cygwin setup package isn't what you'd call
friendly to jaws and other screen readers when it comes to selecting
packages. We can select hole categories, but not packages as a result we can
often waste large amounts of disc space.

Anyway, I found that for various reasons my cygwin wasn't installing
propperly and the packages I had got someone sighted to help me download
wern't installing.
So I decided enough is enough and wrote to the cygwin package list
explaining the issues that blind people face when using cygwin.
This is the response I got to my message.
I am sure you will agree, very interesting.
I haven't tried this out, but I intend to as soon as I have sent this
message.

reply to my message on the cygwin package list.

alex wallis wrote:

Hi list I am fairly new to cygwin and am writing to ask a few questions
about selecting packages when installing cygwin.

My problem I am facing is this.

I am blind, as a result in order to use a computer I use a program called a
screen reader.
<snip>

Fortunately, the latest version of setup for 1.7 allows
package selection from the command line.
This is a _huge_ (ok maybe not that big) deal for users
exactly like you.
You can do things like:

setup -q -n -D -L %SITE% %LOCALDIR% %PACKAGES%

if you set up environment variables for SITE, LOCALDIR, and
PACKAGES.
Note that PACKAGES should be a comma separated list of packages
you want to install with NO SPACES between entries.
All the dependencies ar looked after automagically.

Good luck!

Ralph

Very interesting I am sure you will agree, although it would be nice to have
access to the gui rather than having to use the command line its still very
nice to no about and a very big step in the right direction. It should
certainly make setting up for rockbox a lot easier.