Subject: Re: Summer of Code 2009

Re: Summer of Code 2009

From: alex wallis <alexwallis646_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 15:01:46 -0000

> Robert Menes wrote:
>> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 5:31 AM, Dave Chapman <dave_at_dchapman.com> wrote:
>>> I think I would support such an application - audio codecs are always
>>> welcome, even though RealAudio seems to be becoming less and less used
>>> each
>>> year.
>>>

>> While that may be true, there's always the case of that one oddball
>> out there somewhere
>> who hangs on to some old or obscure format and wants to be able to
>> still make use of
>> their files.
>>
>> That being said, I would welcome another new audio codec, and I would
>> welcome RealAudio
>> support. I have a few very old radio shows that I can no longer get
>> that are RA files.
>
> transcode them, no?

My understanding is that although it is possible to transcode compressed
formats it is never a good idea as the resulting file is never as good
quality as the original.
That's why when I found out how much better ogg vorbis is than mp3 I spent
ten weeks ripping my cd collection again from scratch rather than
transcoding the mp3 files I already ripped.
Also, someone might not have the technical knowledge of how to transcode a
real audio file.
I don't use it myself but I think its always nice to have more audio codecs.
Personally I would like to see rockbox able to play avi and other types of
video file such as wmv.