Subject: Re: 5.5G iPod shutdown confusing the boot code?

Re: 5.5G iPod shutdown confusing the boot code?

From: Dave Woyciesjes <woyciesjes_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:07:15 -0500

asettico wrote:
> *Alex Bennee <kernel-hacker_at_bennee.com> ha scritto*:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've noticed that sometimes when Rockbox shuts down it leave the boot
>> code confused as to the charge state of the battery. The iPod will
>> refuse to boot with the usual Menu key and when plugged in to the USB
>> reports very low battery. Once I give it the two finger salute and
>> reboot into Rockbox everything is fine.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this behaviour before?
>
> I have an iPod Video 5.5g, and I noticed this behaviour since always, I
> think. I bought the DAP in june 2007.
> I was starting to think that could be an environmental temperature
> point, but it's so random that I cannot reproduce it.
> HTH

        I was thinking about this myself this morning. Similar situation
happened to me, but only after I loaded Rockbox, or at least as far as I
remember.
        I've got an iPod video 5.5 too. Last Thurs I loaded stable v3.1. Found
it didn't work with my acc., so I rebooted in to iPod to listen in my
truck. Was fine all weekend. Sunday night, paused the track, put it away
for the night. Monday morning I had to force the reboot to get it going
again. Didn't think much about it, just did the iTunes restore when I
got to work.
        On Wednesday, I loaded current r20102-090225; to get it working with my
transmitter, which it does now, mostly. Rebooted back in to iPod (to
fiddle with ratings) Wed. night. Thursday worked fine. This morning, it
was "dead" again. Had to force reboot to wake it up.
        But, once I got it going both times, it never complained about low
battery. But that may be because when I did get it going, it was plugged
in and charging at the time. Next time it happens, I'll leave it
unplugged, to see if I get the battery warning too...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818