Subject: Re: 5.5G iPod shutdown confusing the boot code?

Re: 5.5G iPod shutdown confusing the boot code?

From: Dave Woyciesjes <woyciesjes_at_sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Mar 2009 09:02:27 -0500

David Hall wrote:
> Dave Woyciesjes wrote:
>> I'm also wondering if this is related to the iPod being formatted
>> FAT32. My iPod never gave me this kind of trouble until I had
>> reformatted on Windows iTunes to load Rockbox...
>>
> Two things pop to mind:
> 1 - The low battery symbol pops up w/o a disk spinup.

        When it happened to me, I didn't catch any low battery symbol. I'm not
saying it didn't happen, I just didn't see it on my screen when it
finally did power up. Of course, I did have it plugged in to a charger
at those times. Next time I won't have it on a charger, to see...

> 2 - This happened to me when using the original firmware.

        The only times I remember it happening is when I had Rockbox on the
iPod, in addition to the Apple firmware that gets loaded when I did the
Restore in iTunes v8 on Windows Vista Enterprise.
        Rockbox was then dropped on using a Windows XP Pro Sp2 machine. Rockbox
Stable v3.1 & current r20102-090225.

> I think the assumption that this is not uncommon behavior even with the
> original firmware is well founded, as there:
> A - are reports of this happening to people who have never used Rockbox.
> B - is sound logic to the statement "bootloader problems are more likely
> to be seen the more often you use the bootloader" Active Rockbox users
> engage the bootloader possibly multiple times per day. Active Apple OS
> users rarely _if ever_ engage the bootloader.

        Agreed.

> The only question, in my mind, is "does Rockbox increase the likelihood
> this bug is triggered?"
> This would be a time-consuming question to answer.

        In my case, I would say yes, because of point B above. Before Rockbox,
I rarely kicked it over.

        But another possibility, (I'm not a programmer but...) I presume the
firmware files are different for FAT32 and HFS, so I'm curious which way
the iPods are formatted when users experience this issue...
        Again, time consuming question...

--
--- Dave Woyciesjes
--- ICQ# 905818