Subject: Re: FS#9873 - Utilise buttons for playlisting

Re: FS#9873 - Utilise buttons for playlisting

From: Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 23:37:33 -0800

2009/3/3 Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>:
> On Wed, Mar 4, 2009 at 12:03 AM, Jonathan Gordon <jdgordy_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>> I dont think I've ever said I agreed with that...
>>

> I never said you did agree with that, but it's still part of the list
> of things we don't do. Has some new information come to light that
> changes the debate that's been had several times now, or is this just
> you taking another chance to try to bring it up without any new
> information to add into the mix? Because if it's the latter, why don't
> we talk about the patch that's being presented, rather than trying to
> skew off into an argument that's been had again and again already.
>
> This patch as it stands can probably go in once it's adapted to the
> other targets with a free button. If you want configurable keymaps
> that's something you can debate independently of this patch, and that
> debate isn't worth holding this patch up for.

Well, firstly the patch is a half-assed effort (no offense meant to
kugel there). imo (obviously) it adds nothing to rockbox, it changes 1
button in 2 screens (ignoring that its unused because plenty of people
actually like the fact its unused) on one target (and done in such a
way that it adds plenty of dead code to the other 27.)

I don't really care that rec will go to playlist viewer in the WPS.
its not something I use much but concede that some might find that
useful, but you have to agree that there will be plenty of people who
would prefer it go to the eq menu (bad example of course because you
and I know that people who do want this are probably using the eq
wrongly), or maybe the bookmark or track info screen, or indeed any of
the options in the WPS context menu.

As for the insert action in the browsers, I WANT this sort of feature,
but I fail to see why it HAS to be the "insert" option, why cant it be
"insert shuffled" or "insert next"? My favorite option would actually
be some sort of "repeat previous insert" which would actually be
useful.

I'm sure I've said it before, and I doubt I'm alone... there is a
difference between customizable buttons (which everyone agrees will be
a support nightmare) and allowing the user to choose between a few
select options for individual buttons when there is a free button to
do it with.

Jonathan