Subject: Re: FS#9873 - Utilise buttons for playlisting

Re: FS#9873 - Utilise buttons for playlisting

From: pondlife <pondlife_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 13:18:25 -0000

My choice would be for having an option too, even if it's just "Insert" or
"None" (although I wouldn't personally object to other functions).

I have a (naive?) way of thinking of the Rockbox keymap. I'll try and
summarise as a table of "KEYS" which are then mapped to physical keys on a
given target.
(each row is KEY - action in general (action in WPS)

UP/DOWN - navigate (volume)
LONG UP/DOWN - navigate (volume)
LEFT/RIGHT - navigate (track skip)
LONG LEFT/RIGHT - navigate (rewind/ffwd)
SELECT - select current entry (return to browser)
LONG SELECT - display context menu
PLAY - return to WPS (pause/resume)
LONG PLAY - reserved as a shift key*
STOP - stop playback
LONG STOP - power off*
MENU - toggle between main menu and previous screen
LONG MENU - toggle between quickscreen and previous screen

* depending on hardware limitations

This covers basic functionality, excluding plugins and the "shifted"
functions (dirskip, A-B repeat, track properties, pitch screen). None of
this would ever be configurable, so support should be reasonable. It
requires 6 buttons, which is fine for the Ondio (is that the worst case?).

Then - for targets with more buttons F2/F3/REC etc. we allocate a USER
button that *is* configurable, defaulting to the following:

USER - do nothing
LONG USER - record

Hopefully such a simplistic view would be generally usable on all targets
and would help lead to consistency across the UI and across targets.

Yours,
Steve Bavin (aka pondlife)