Rockbox mail archiveSubject: Theme licenses
From: Jonas Häggqvist <rasher_at_rasher.dk>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 18:04:27 +0100
A while ago, it was decided that themes on the fabled theme site should be
required to be licensed exclusively CC-BY-SA. This however, results in
some problems. For one thing, we can't reuse parts of themes in the
Rockbox defaults since they're part of the code, and hence GPLv2-or-later.
Another issue that seems a bit weird is that themes derived from Cabbiev2
can't be uploaded to the theme site. As I see it, we have 4 options:
1) Require CC-BY-SA only
- Extension of current policy.
- CC-BY-SA makes sense for themes and graphics.
- We can't reuse themes or parts of themes in the Rockbox defaults.
- Cabbiev2-derived themes aren't allowed.
2) Require GPLv2-or-later only
- Allows us to use code
- Cabbiev2-derived themes are allowed
- Change in stated policy (disqualifies many current themes)
- The GPL doesn't neatly apply to themes
3) Allow both GPLv2-or-later and CC-BY-SA
- Will allow us to use code from some themes in Rockbox
- The current mix of GPLv2 and CC-BY-SA is suboptimal and makes sharing
4) Require dual-licensing
- Allows us to use the code in Rockbox
- Allows others to use code as CC-BY-SA outside of Rockbox
- No, or very few current themes can be used
- All themes derived from others would block on the original theme being
released as dual-licensed.
I'm thinking we should stick with CC-BY-SA, but allowing both is looking
better and better the more I think about it. That's the situation we have
in the wiki at the moment anyway. How many issues has this caused?
-- Jonas Häggqvist rasher(at)rasher(dot)dkReceived on 2009-03-05