Subject: Re: FS#9873 - Utilise buttons for playlisting

Re: FS#9873 - Utilise buttons for playlisting

From: Paul Louden <paulthenerd_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Mar 2009 19:50:20 -0600

Boris Gjenero wrote:

> I find this to be a very valuable feature on other targets. I need a
> way to turn on the backlight without causing side-effects. Undoing
> side-effects is annoying. I also don't like "First Keypress Enables
> Backlight Only" because then I need to know backlight state. For
> example, if I want to go to the next track without looking, do I press
> once and maybe only turn on the backlight or press twice and maybe
> skip an additional track?

You can listen. If you press "next" and it doesn't go to the next track,
then you know you've turned on the backlight and can press it again. As
well, you can tap "volume up" or "volume down" for immediate feedback.
You could also simply look at the screen. And if you don't turn "first
keypress" on, you can instead just start doing what you wanted to do,
because the backlight will come on anyway. It's as simple as remembering
what screen you left your player in.

It doesn't seem wise, to me, to intentionally avoid vastly improving the
playlisting situation simply to preserve a "backlight" button. Even
assuming you don't know the player condition, this probably only happens
occasionally. Which means one extra keypress to undo the volume change
the first time you turn on the backlight, because brief fades will be
short enough for you to remember where you are. In exchange, you save
dozens to hundreds of keypresses every single time a playlist is created
on-player. There is no workaround for the number of keypresses necessary
to make a playlist on-player, while simply remembering how you left your
player is an excellent workaround for needing a backlight button.